German cake classic goes breakfast
If you like the German cake classic Donauwelle, you will love this recipe!
Thanks to our recipe, “Donauwelle” can now also be enjoyed for breakfast!
How is this possible? -With a perfect twist on overnight oats!
Our Donauwellen Overnight Oats are quick to stir and are great for breakfast, but also as a snack between meals or in the afternoon as a healthy alternative to cake.
The Donauwellen Oats taste best if they have been able to spend a whole night in the fridge and after covering them with chocolate you allow them to cool for a few minutes to firm up.
If that’s too time-consuming for you and you prefer something fruitier, our Apple Dream Overnight Oats might be a good alternative. Or would you prefer a hearty breakfast? Then our cashew spread is definitely a delicious inspiration for you.
This is how the Donauwellen Overnight Oats are prepared:
In a sealable jar, add oatmeal, cocoa, some maple syrup and plant drink. This is stirred and then allowed to steep overnight or for a few hours.
For the next step, drain the cherries from a glass and put them on the oats. The next layer is stirred together from soy yoghurt, vanilla and maple syrup and placed on top of the layer with the cherries. Smooth out the layer a bit and let it cool until the chocolate layer comes on top.
To do this, melt the chocolate with a little coconut oil (preferably the deodorized version) over a water bath or melt it briefly in the microwave. It is important that the chocolate is only heated slowly and not too hot, so that it later becomes nice and smooth.
Pour the melted chocolate over the vanilla yoghurt layer. You should rotate the glass slowly to ensure that the layer is as thin as possible. Then the chocolate will spread better. Now put the oats in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes until the chocolate layer has set. Then you can start enjoying!
A little hint:
You can prepare them perfectly in a screw-top jar and take them to the office.
Your colleagues will be jealous of your great breakfast!
Donauwelle Overnight Oats
- 50 g of rolled oats
- 100 ml plant drink
- 1 tsp cocoa (3g)
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cherries from the jar (60g)
- 60 g soy yoghurt
- 1 drop vanilla extract (alternatively some vanilla sugar)
- 15 g chocolate or couverture
- 5 g coconut fat deodorized
- It is best to fill a sealable glass with oat flakes, cocoa, 1 teaspoon of maple syrup and plant drink the evening before and stir.
- The next day (or after at least approx. 3 hours) briefly stir the mixture again and cover with cherries from the jar. Drain off the liquid as best you can beforehand.
- For the vanilla yoghurt, mix the soy yoghurt with 1 teaspoon of maple syrup and some vanilla extract or vanilla sugar. Maple syrup can be omitted if you use vanilla sugar.
- Pour the yoghurt over the cherries and spread evenly.
- For the chocolate layer, slowly melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in a water bath (or in the microwave for a few seconds) while stirring.
- Make sure the chocolate doesn’t get too hot, otherwise it will lose its shine and won’t spread as smoothly.
- Carefully pour the melted chocolate onto the yoghurt layer and gently swirl the glass so that the chocolate spreads as thinly and evenly as possible on the yoghurt.
- Put the whole thing in the fridge or freezer for about 10 minutes until the chocolate has set and enjoy!