We are taught from an early age that vegetables are good for us and that we should eat as much of them as possible.
Even if nobody likes all types of vegetables, ratatouille is somehow always a good choice.
Ratatouille can of course be easily adapted to the anybody´s taste or intolerance.
But in our experience, Ratatouille goes down well with everyone.
We love it because you can eat it hot and cold. It can even be boiled down and stored in a mason jar for quite a while. We also eat ratatouille sometimes with rice, but sometimes with bread and well, you basically can’t go wrong with pasta, too.
Some like it as a side dish, but for us it is a perfect meal with rice and a few legumes or crispy fried tofu!
Not only are the many different types of vegetables characteristic, but also the spices.
There are a few variations, but usually rosemary and thyme simply belong in every good ratatouille!
We are lucky to have fresh rosemary in the garden. Somehow it is even more fun to cook and to deal with the different ingredients. Fresh rosemary just smells so wonderful!
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2 peppers
- 1 eggplant (small)
- 1 zucchini (small)
- 5 to matoes (medium)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- First peel and finely dice the onions and garlic.
- Then peel the carrots and cut off the ends.
- Wash the peppers, aubergine and zucchini and dice together with the carrots.
- Cut the tomatoes crosswise and place in a bowl.
- Now pour boiling water over the tomatoes so that the skin can be loosened more easily. Let this stand for about 5 minutes and quench with cold water.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions and garlic in it.
- It is best to add the carrot cubes now as well.
- These can cook a little longer so that they are not too hard at the end.
- The saucepan shouldn’t be too hot so the onions and garlic don’t burn while the carrots are still cooking.
- Now the eggplant can also be added. Always turn when frying to prevent from getting burned.
- In the meantime, wash the fresh herbs and pat dry. Chop the rosemary as finely as possible. If that is too cumbersome for you, you can also put all the branches in the pot. However, the rosemary needles can come off during cooking.
- Take the tomatoes out of the hot water and peel them and cut them into small pieces.
- After about 7 minutes you can add the tomato paste and the spices.
- This is allowed to roast a little before we deglaze with the tomatoes and their liquid.
- Then there are also peppers and zucchini.
- Let everything simmer for almost 20 minutes over medium heat.
- If there is not enough liquid after simmering for 5 minutes, a little water can be added. Then a little more tomato paste may be needed at the end.
- Add salt and sugar to taste and sharpen to taste.
The stewed vegetables, which are nice and soft, can basically also be used like salsa. In this case we would add some chilli.