At the moment we both, Malgosia and I, have a phase in which we have a lot of inspiration and ideas for sweet recipes. In the current season of rhubarb, strawberries and co. These naturally appear often in these ideas.
This time we have put together a cake that is both creamy and crispy and not only sweet but also sour. Our vision of a rhubarb crumble cake was even topped or rather filled with a delicious vanilla cream!
When creating the shortcrust pastry, it is important to use a really cold plant-based butter or to help with a little ice-cold water to shape the dough into a homogeneous mass. Then it should rest a little until it is used. Then it will get the right consistency later.
The cake can also be easily prepared in that the base, crumble and vanilla cream can be made separately from one another and then simply put together to make the cake when the time comes. Like the shortcrust pastry, you should store the crumble in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it. If you want to cook the cream the day before, it should also be stored in the refrigerator. But first let the hot cream cool down to room temperature before putting it in the fridge.
Rhubarb crumble with vanilla cream
- 115 grams of flour
- 65 g plant-based butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tbsp cold water
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pinch of salt
Vanilla cream filling
- 200 ml of vegetable cream
- 1 dash of vanilla extract
- 200 ml plant drink
- 30 g cornstarch
- 30 g powdered sugar
- 1-2 sticks of rhubarb
- 150 g of flour
- 65 g plant-based butter
- 50 sugar
Make the shortcrust pastry
- First knead a shortcrust pastry from the ingredients for the dough.
- Make sure that the plant-based butter is nice and cold.
- Cut this into small pieces and knead with the flour, sugar, lemon zest and salt. if necessary, add some ice-cold water.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth and even.
- Then let it rest covered in the refrigerator while the other components of the cake are prepared.
Make the cream filling
- Now the cream filling is made by boiling the plant-based cream in a small saucepan. While the cream is heating, stir the plant-based drink with vanilla, cornstarch and powdered sugar, no lumps should be visible.
- When the plant-based cream is boiling, the mixture can be added. The cream should simmer briefly over medium heat until it thickens. Stir constantly.
- After a few minutes, take it off the stove and let it cool down a bit.
- At the same time, it is now time to top the cake.
The topping (prepare crumble and rhubarb)
- Wash the rhubarb and cut into 1-2 cm thick slices. Put aside.
- Now make the crumble by kneading the flour, vegetable butter and sugar together to form coarse crumbs. Also put aside.
Finish the cake
- Grease a small springform pan and lightly flour it.
- Take the shortcrust pastry out of the refrigerator and roll it out thinly or press it into the mold with your hands.
- Pull up one edge that ends approx. 2 cm below the edge of the springform pan.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° top / bottom heat.
- Now stir the vanilla cream again to dissolve any skin that may have formed. Now distribute this on the bottom of the springform pan and smooth it out.
- Now distribute the rhubarb pieces on the dough.
- It can be given more or less depending on your wishes.
- But it should remain a layer of rhubarb.
- Finally, the sprinkles are spread over the cake.
- Now the cake is allowed to bake for about 45 minutes.
If you are using a standard size, you can double the amount of ingredients.