Are you looking for a special salad or do you want to bring something different to a BBQ?
Then you are exactly right here! Check out our version of a bread salad! It is surprisingly delicious.
The toasted bread and flavors of red onions, garlic and rocket turn this salad to a true taste and nutrient bomb!
- 300 g ciabatta bread
- 150 g dried tomatoes (in oil)
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- 200 g rocket salad
- 1 red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 80 g sunflower seeds
- ½ bunch of basil (fresh)
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
- 40 g celery (optional)
- 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tsp agave syrup
- ½ lemon (juice of it)
- Salt, pepper (to taste)
- Cut the ciabatta bread into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Peel the red onion and cut it into thin half rings (or whole rings, as you like), peel the garlic and cut it into fine cubes. You can put both in a large bowl.
- Wash the celery (if desired) and cut into fine cubes. Drain the dried tomatoes a little and cut into fine cubes. Everything can already go to the onions and garlic in the large bowl. Wash cherry tomatoes and cut in half or quarter. Add these to the other ingredients.
- Wash, dry and chop the basil leaves or pluck them into large pieces. That can also be in the large bowl.
- Now wash the rocket off with cold water and set it aside.
- In the next step you can lightly toast the bread cubes in some good olive oil (take care to keep it in medium temperature, otherwise the oil will burn and taste bitter).
- Simply put it in one layer in a heated pan and let it roast for a few minutes before swiveling it in the pan to roast the other sides of the bread cubes.
- Depending on how crispy you like it, it will take 5-10 minutes. Then take the bread out of the pan and put it aside in a new bowl.
- While the bread is toasting, you can already stir the dressing or the vinaigrette. Mix in balsamic vinegar, agave syrup, juice of half a lemon, salt and pepper and add the good olive oil at the end.
- Now mix the vinaigrette with the ingredients in the large bowl and add the rocket and the bread cubes one after the other. If you want to eat straight away, you can mix everything together now. To keep the bread crispy, mix briefly with the food just before serving.
- Sprinkle sunflower seeds (or pine nuts) on top and enjoy!
As you can see, really good things come together here, which in combination make a great mixture. Personally, I think the celery gives it a great aroma and that certain something. But even if you don’t like celery or just don’t have any there, don’t let yourself be deterred from trying the recipe. -You will not regret it!
You can of course swap the sunflower seed with any other nuts or seeds, depending on what you like or what needs to go.
Please leave us a comment and let us hear if the flavors blew you away, too.