Delicious dumplings straight from the pan!
We love to enjoy dumplings with hearty sauces and hearty components. But if you don’t feel like processing potatoes or old rolls into dumpling dough and then letting them simmer in hot water, we can warmly recommend these vegan pan-fried dumplings.
We think these pan dumplings go great with our goulash made from soy shreds, but our vegan gravy or mushroom ragout are also just perfect for the pan dumplings.
If you prefer the classic dumplings, we also have the recipes for classic bread dumplings and two types of potato dumplings for you on the blog!
How to prepare the pan dumplings:
We use buns from the day before as the basis for these relatively simple dumplings. These are great to make the pan dumpling batter and if you have any left over rolls that you would otherwise throw away, all the better!
The rolls are first cut into small cubes and placed in a large bowl. Then the fine diced onions have to be sautéed in a little vegan butter until translucent. With a little salt and paprika powder you can bring some flavor into it. The parsley brings another delicious aroma to the pan dumplings. Wash the parsley, shake dry and chop finely. Then add to the bun cubes in the bowl together with the translucent steamed onions.
The cornstarch, salt, nutmeg and the previously slightly warmed plant drink also go into the bowl. Then it is best to start kneading with your hands and lightly press the roll cubes together. After a short time, a tough mass is created that can be easily formed into dumplings. Then just flatten the round dumplings a little and you have the perfect shape for vegan pan-fried dumplings that can be fried quickly.
The dumplings are fried in a pan with a little oil until crispy and then go well with practically any sauce!
A little hint:
If you want to prepare patties, plant-based meatballs and the like, it is always advisable to sauté the onions briefly before adding them to the dough or mass. This takes away their sharpness and makes them mild and slightly sweet. This ensures a hearty but round taste.
Vegan pan dumplings
- 330 g rolls from the day before
- 1 onion
- some paprika powder
- 1 tsp vegan butter
- 4 sprigs of parsley
- 300 ml plant drink
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp starch
- 4 tbsp oil (for frying)
- Cut the buns from the day before into small cubes and place in a large bowl. Peel the onion, dice finely and sauté in a little vegan butter or oil until translucent. Season with some paprika powder and salt.
- Meanwhile, wash the parsley, shake dry and finely chop.
- Add these to the bread cubes.
- Put the onions in the bowl as well and add 1.5 tbsp starch.
- Some spice is added to the mix in the form of nutmeg and salt. Then slightly warm up the plant drink of your choice (but make sure you use an unsweetened version) and add to the mixture. Mix and knead everything with your hands.
- Slightly crush the bread cubes. After a short time, the bread cubes will soften and a mass will form that can be formed into balls with a little pressure. Flatten these balls a little more and fry on both sides in a pan with oil over medium heat.