Vegan alternative for fish burgers based on tofu
Seafood in vegan is a difficult topic. In the meantime, more and more large companies have brought some really good alternative products to the market for fish fingers, fried fish and the like.
If you’re more of a fan of less processed products, this recipe for vegan fish meatballs will really blow your mind!
With simple ingredients you can easily prepare fish patties or rather no fish patties yourself!
The secret lies in the addition of nori seaweed, which provides the slightly fishy aroma. We get the consistency of meat with tofu, so that you can make slightly coarser or finer vegan fish patties, depending on your taste. When frying, the No Fish patties even become crispy due to the starch in the tofu mass. Vegan fish patties according to this recipe can also be coated with breadcrumbs for extra crispiness, depending on your taste.
4 additional tips for perfect vegan fish patties:
- The mass for the vegan fish patties gets its great aroma from the combination of the nori flakes and some lemon. By resting in the fridge, they develop the flavors better. You can therefore prepare the patties the day before and leave them in the fridge overnight.
- If you crumble the tofu after squeezing, you should do it more finely. Chunks that are too big will make the patties fall apart more easily. A good option can also be to finely mix part of the tofu in the blender.
- Always dose the lemon carefully and try the uncooked mass to see if the acidity and salt are right for you.
- The taste of the chickpea flour disappears when frying. But you should make sure to fry the patties well and not to make them too thick. But the size of conventional burger patties works great.
Vegan Fish Patties
- 400 g of tofu
- 4 tsp nori flakes
- 1.5 tsp salt
- ½ tsp lemon juice (a few drops first, more to taste)
- 50 ml of water
- 30 g chickpea flour
- 40 g starch
- Squeeze the tofu and pat dry as best you can. Then, depending on the desired consistency, crumble them coarsely or finely. However, the pieces should not be too coarse so that the vegan fish patties will hold together later.
- Mix with nori flakes, salt and a few drops of lemon juice. Cover and leave to rest in the fridge for approx. 2 hours.
- After the resting time, mix the water and chickpea flour together in a small bowl and leave to soak briefly.
- In the meantime, take the tofu mixture out of the fridge and stir in the starch. Try some of the mass and taste. With salt and, if necessary, a little more lemon juice.
- Add the chickpea flour and water mixture and mix well.
- Fill a pan with oil and let it get hot.
- Form small patties or sticks from the tofu mixture and fry on both sides until brown and crispy. Depending on how coarse the tofu pieces are, the mass can hold together better or worse. If you press the mass together and into shape with your hands, it should hold up quite well.
- Place the fried vegan fish patties on a kitchen towel to drain and keep warm or serve immediately.
Our vegan tartar sauce with a few parsley potatoes or mashed potatoes goes perfectly with the vegan fish meatballs.
Of course you can also use them as a base for a vegan fish burger. So you can simply let your creativity run free!
If you are now more interested in vegan potato and sauerkraut pancakes find the recipe here. Or how about a quick chickpea curry?