After-work kitchen quickly and with ingredients from the pantry
Are you looking for a dish that suits autumn, that fits perfectly into the comfort food category and is quickly on the table after a stressful day without having to travel forever for the ingredients?
Then this vegan potato curry is the perfect dish for you!
It’s made from a few simple ingredients and if you already have a good base of spices around the house, you probably already have everything you need to start cooking right away!
Of course, in order to be able to cook the recipe for the vegan potato curry, you need potatoes and a few fresh ingredients as well as a few carrots, an onion and garlic. If you have other vegetables, you can use those as well.
The flavors come from the great spices that we and you probably already have at home.
Spices that we always have in the house:
- ground cumin (cumin)
- Paprika powder (sweet and also the smoked version for very hearty dishes)
- Coriander (if it doesn’t taste like soap to you ;-))
- dried thyme
You are usually well equipped to cook such hearty dishes. You can also prepare really great and different dishes with a small variety of spices. With just a few ingredients from the pantry or with leftover fresh vegetables that need to be used, really tasty delicacies can be served and enjoyed quickly.
This is how the vegan potato curry is prepared:
Firstly the vegetables need to be prepared. For this, the onions and garlic are peeled and cut into slices.
In addition, the potatoes and carrots are peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes.
The important thing to tease out the aromas is to first roast the spices in the rapeseed oil. You can clearly smell how the aromas unfold during roasting. Only then should you add the onions and garlic.
When everything is fried a little, add the potatoes and carrots. In addition, the whole thing is deglazed with canned tomatoes and some water.
Let everything simmer until everything has the desired cooking point.
Finally, taste and season with salt and lemon juice.
We like to serve the curry with some basmati rice.
Upgrade the vegan potato curry:
If you miss proteins in the recipe, you can easily add them by adding chickpeas from the jar or cooked lentils from the can or from the day before. If you can spare a few minutes, marinated tofu or tempeh is always a good source of plant-based protein.
If you’re a curry fan like us, you should definitely try our other curries!
Our pumpkin curry is perfect for autumn, but our quick chickpea curry is also definitely worth a try! So far, all friends and acquaintances have been enthusiastic about this simple and yet so delicious dish!
Quick vegan potato curry
- 500 g potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion (medium size)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp ground chili
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 400 g canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- Peel the potatoes and carrots and cut into 3 cm pieces.
- Peel onion and garlic. Halve the onion and then cut into rings and the garlic cloves into thin slices.
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a saucepan over medium heat and roast the turmeric, chili, paprika and curry for 1-2 minutes. Then add the garlic and onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and carrots to the pot and deglaze everything with the tomato pieces.
- Add salt and 200 ml water and simmer with the lid on (depending on the size of the potatoes and carrots) on a low heat for about 15 minutes until both are tender.
- Season the finished curry with lemon juice and salt and serve best with rice.