Easy way to make your own cherry pockets with puff pastry!
You probably already know apple turnovers made from puff pastry. Or even our apple florets made from puff pastry. Today we will show you how you can easily make your own vegan cherry pockets at home using puff pastry from the refrigerated section and with just a few ingredients.
Another recipe made with puff pastry is the Portuguese pasteis de nata. In case you are looking for something delicious with vanilla cream.
We especially like the puff pastry from the refrigerated section. You can get it in any discounter or supermarket and it is super easy to work with. On hot days you should make sure that it does not get too warm. So it is best to take it out of the fridge just before you want to use it.
Vegan Cherry Pockets
- 185 g jar cherries (drained)
- 150 ml drained cherry juice from the glass
- 10 g starch
- 15 g sugar
- 1 pack of puff pastry
- 2 tbsp plant drink
- 25 g sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar (optional)
- Pour the 150ml of liquid from the jar of cherries into a small saucepan, except for 2 tablespoons of the liquid. Bring to the boil and meanwhile stir the 2 tablespoons of liquid with the 10g of starch until the starch has dissolved. When the liquid begins to boil slightly, add the starch mixture and continue to simmer, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- The liquid should now thicken significantly. Add the drained cherries and the sugar and simmer briefly.
- Then take it off the stove and let it cool down a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 180° top/bottom heat.
- Take the puff pastry out of the fridge and spread it out on the worktop.
- Cut the rectangular dough into 6 equal rectangles. This works well with a pizza roller.
- Now we put the filling on the dough pieces. This should be given at the edge and along the long side. There should be 1 cm of space for the top and side wheels so that the filling doesn't run out too much.
- Roll up each piece of puff pastry with the filling and gently press the two ends together with your hand or with a fork to prevent the cherries from spilling out.
- Now brush the rolls with the plant drink and make 3-4 cuts across the long side on the surface. This allows the air to escape while baking.
- Finally, spread the sliced almonds over the cherry pockets and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until they have a nice, golden brown colour.
- If you like, you can dust them with powdered sugar and serve.