Unfortunately, the season for rhubarb is not very long. So you have to use them as best you can.
We often have leftover rhubarb or don’t want to cook liters of compote. So we’re looking at other ways to use rhubarb. A delicious variant for the coffee table are Rhubarb Streusel Thaler.
The basis is a simple yeast dough topped with slices of rhubarb and covered with crumbles.
When the thalers come out of the oven browned, they not only smell tempting, but the rhubarb makes them wonderfully juicy.
In case you are kind of afraid to make yeast dough, check out our tipps for making a perfect yeast dough.
If you know some little things, you will love to make it more often.
Rhubarb Crumble Thaler
- 250 ml plant drink
- 110 g vegan butter
- 500 g spelled flour type 630
- 7 g dry yeast
- 90 g sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ lemon (zest of it)
- 6 sticks of rhubarb
- 5 tbsp apricot jam
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 100 g vegan butter
- 200 g flour
- 100 g sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- For the yeast dough, put the plant-based drink in a saucepan with the vegan butter and heat until the butter has melted.
- Mix the flour, dry yeast, sugar, salt and zest of the lemon in a bowl. Add the lukewarm plant-based milk-butter mix to the flour mixture and stir briefly, then knead for 10-15 minutes until you have a smooth dough.
- Put the dough in a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let it rise in a warm place for 60 minutes. The volume should double during this time.
- After the time has elapsed, knead the dough again briefly and divide into 10 balls of the same size, roll them out to about 2-3 cm thick and place them on two baking sheets or mats. Let rise again for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180°C and cut the rhubarb into small pieces and set aside.
- For the crumbles, cut the butter into small pieces and knead with the flour, sugar and cinnamon.
- After 30 minutes, brush each of the yeast dough pieces with a little apricot jam and distribute the rhubarb pieces on top. Form crumbles from the prepared crumble mixture with your fingers and spread on the rhubarb.
- Brush the edges of the yeast dough with maple syrup and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until the edges have turned golden.