Classic german recipe veganised
On the holidays there are certain dishes that are traditionally served in at least german families.
Madeleine’s family often had roasts with red cabbage and dumplings.
Until recently, she was sure that her mother made the best red cabbage in the world!
Usually this is cooked with goose fat for the “authentic” aroma and is therefore no longer as vegan-friendly.
But in order to get everyone to one table, we tried a classic recipe for red cabbage and ta-daaa:
It’s easily made vegan and super delicious!
A secret ingredient is added at the end, then it tastes just perfect and is super popular with young and old!
By the way, we show you how you can make dumplings for a hearty menu here, if you like potato dumplings
or here if you are more of a fan of bread dumplings.
- 1 tea bag or spice strainer
- 1 kg of red cabbage
- 40 g plant-based butter
- 1 large onion
- 2 apples
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 250 ml of broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 6 juniper berries
- 3 tsp of apricot jam
- Cut or slice the red cabbage into fine strips with a grater or a kitchen utensil.
- Peel and finely dice the onions and apples.
- Set up a large saucepan and melt the butter in it.
- Put the onion and apple cubes in the saucepan and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Now add the red cabbage, maple syrup and vinegar.
- Mix everything together briefly and steam for 10 minutes with the lid closed.
- A large part of the broth can now be added. But withheld a little of it. You can see whether it is fully used while cooking.
- The spices, i.e. bay leaf, cloves and juniper berries, either put in a permeable container such as a tea bag and close or put directly into the pot. In this case the spices have to be fished out afterwards. You can also add a little salt.
- Mix everything well again and let simmer for another 30 minutes with the lid closed.
- Stir every now and then and check whether there is still enough liquid to prevent it from burning. If necessary, add the broth.
- When the red cabbage is nearly done, you can taste it.
- In addition to salt and vinegar, there is also apricot jam. This ensures a nice round and fruity taste.
- Now finish cooking for a few minutes and serve!
So it can be prepared perfectly the day before.