The strawberry season is simply one of the best! We just love these sweet, red fruits very much and can’t get enough of them.
If you’re like us, we can recommend this simple recipe for a strawberry tart with vanilla cream.
Our strawberry tart with vanilla cream is of course vegan and with relatively little effort you can get a super delicious tart and the recipe for a delicious vanilla cream, too! You don’t need custard powder for the cream. With cornstarch and agar agar as a binding agent, you can create your own vanilla cream and you can also use a different sweetener if you wish.
Strawberry tart with vanilla cream
- 230 g flour
- 130 g cold plant-based butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 1 pinch of ground vanilla
- 400 ml plant drink
- 40 g cornstarch
- 35 g of sugar
- ½ tsp agar agar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 500 g strawberries
- 50 g dark chocolate
- Cut the cold butter into cubes and place in a bowl with the flour.
- Rub in crumbly with your fingers and then add the sugar and vanilla.
- Gradually add the cold water and quickly knead into a smooth, firm dough. Knead only until the dough has bonded.
- Place the dough in a closed container in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, grease the tart pan, dust it with flour and preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
- After the 30 minutes have elapsed, roll out the dough on a floured surface and line the tart pan with it. Prick the bottom a few times with a fork to prevent bubbles from forming during baking.
- Place a piece of baking paper on the tart base and fill the mold with blind beans (also works with dried legumes or uncooked rice). This weighs down the dough while baking and it stays in shape.
- Bake the dough in the oven for 15 minutes. Then take out the mold and remove the dummy filling and the baking paper from the mold.
- Put the dough in the oven again for 10-15 minutes and bake ready. Check regularly that the dough is not too dark.
- When golden, take it out of the oven and let it cool.
- Melt the chocolate over a water bath, spread it on the cooled tart base and let it set.
- For the vanilla cream, put about 120 ml plant-based drink in a small bowl, slowly bring the rest to a boil in a saucepan.
- While the plant drink is being heated in the pot, add the starch, sugar, agar agar and vanilla extract to the bowl with the cold plant drink and stir well.
- When the plant-based drink starts to boil in the pot, take the pot off the stove and add the plant-based drink-sugar-starch mixture while stirring.
- Put the pot back on the stove and simmer gently for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Let the vanilla cream cool down a little, spread it on the tart base and let it cool down completely.
- Wash the strawberries and cut into pieces or thin slices. Arrange on the cooled vanilla cream and serve.