Sometimes you see videos or recipes online that make you really curious to try it out yourself. For example there was the feta pasta from the oven hype that seemingly almost everyone really tried. -Very tasty idea, by the way.
Today we’re all about cauliflower. More precisely about cauliflower wings out of the oven. They are often presented as vegan Buffalo Wings and the breading or batter is seasoned accordingly with BBQ flavors. I myself (Madeleine) am not that much of a fan of the very smoky and at the same time sweet BBQ taste, which is why the taste of our cauliflower wings from the oven is simply hearty, but not exactly like the typical BBQ spice.
The recipe is actually super easy to make and also tastes great as a finger food or starter. But you will also get really full if you do it right. For dipping we made a chili mayo from the Asian Sriracha Mayo and normal, slightly milder mayo. This way, friends of the less spicy cuisine can also enjoy a great dip.
Cauliflower wings out of the oven
- 350 g cauliflower (about 1/2 cauliflower)
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp paprika powder (hot)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (to taste)
- 120 ml plant-based drink (unsweetened)
- 75 g panko breadcrumbs
- Cut the cauliflower into florets or wings from the stalk and set aside.
- Now stir the dough together for rolling by mixing the chickpea flour, flour and all the spices with the plant drink. The best way to do this is with a whisk.
- Season the dough again to taste. It should be spiced a little stronger for your taste, the cauliflower and breading absorbs a lot of flavor. The chickpea flour tastes a bit raw, but that changes when you bake it.
- Prepare the breadcrumbs in a small bowl.
- Prepare a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper and preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Now turn the cauliflower wings in the batter, roll them directly in the panko breadcrumbs and place on the baking sheet.
- Repeat until all the wings are breaded. Place the wings on the baking sheet with a little distance from each other.
- Now put the tray in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the cauliflower has the desired bite. Serve with a dip of your choice and enjoy!