But in the best dishes, in addition to the great ingredients, the different textures and temperatures are also important. This appeals to different senses and gives the food that certain something.
In the recipe for our bread salad with rocket, the fun of eating comes from the great aromas of the fresh ingredients but also from the interplay of the textures. The crispy pieces of bread, the juicy tomatoes and the delicious sauce basically make everything else superfluous. Of course, the bread salad also fits as a side dish when grilling and is sure to taste good for everyone – regardless of the type of diet.
Bread salad with rocket
- 1 ciabatta bread (approx. 300g)
- 1 red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 150 g cherry tomatoes
- 8-10 radishes
- ½ bunch of basil
- 80 g rocket
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp olive oil (plus a little more to roast)
- 2 tsp agave syrup
- 1/2 lemon (juice of it)
- Cut the bread into bite-sized pieces and set it aside for a moment.
- Peel the red onion and cut it into thin half rings (or whole rings, if you like), peel the garlic and cut it into fine cubes or press it through the garlic press. You can put both in a large bowl.
- Wash cherry tomatoes and radishes and cut in half or quarter. Add this to the other ingredients in the large bowl.
- Wash, dry and chop the basil leaves or pluck into large pieces. That goes into the big bowl as well.
- Now wash the rocket with cold water, drain it and set it aside.
- Now you can lightly toast the bread cubes in a little good olive oil (so not too hot, otherwise the oil will burn and taste bitter). Simply put it in one layer in a heated pan and let it roast for a few minutes before swiveling it in the pan to roast the other sides of the bread cubes. Depending on how crispy you like it, this takes 5-10 minutes. Then take the bread out of the pan (otherwise it will continue to brown and, in the worst case, burn) and set aside in a new bowl.
- While the bread is toasting, you can already mix the dressing or the vinaigrette. Mix red wine, vinegar, agave syrup, juice of half a lemon, salt and pepper and add the good olive oil at the end.
- Now mix the vinaigrette with the ingredients in the large bowl and add the rocket and the bread cubes one after the other. If you want to eat straight away, you can now mix everything together. In order to keep the bread crispy, you should only mix everything together shortly before eating.