In the far too short asparagus season, we want to try out as many different recipes as possible and use the season properly. A classic that everyone knows is asparagus cream soup.
We have created a variant that works without plant-based cream, nuts or other substitutes for the creamy consistency.
With just a few ingredients and a hand blender, you can have a super creamy vegan asparagus soup on the table in no time at all. The “worst” thing is peeling the asparagus. But if the hurdle is over, you don’t need 20 minutes and the food is ready to be served.
Creamy asparagus soup
- 500 g white asparagus
- 120 g potatoes
- 250 ml of water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp plant-based butter
- 1 pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- some parsley (optional)
- Peel the asparagus and potatoes and cut into 2-3cm pieces. Cut off the ends of the asparagus and discard.
- Put the asparagus and potato pieces in a saucepan and add the water. The vegetables should just be covered. So a little more or a little less water may be needed.
- Bring the saucepan to a boil, add salt, sugar and butter and cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Then take out the asparagus tips while they still have a bit of bite. They come back later as a contribution to the soup.
- Cook the rest for a few more minutes until they are nice and soft.
- Now the soup is finely pureed and briefly boiled again. Season to taste and if you like, you can add some nutmeg and parsley in addition to salt and sugar. If the consistency is too thick, a little water will help. If the soup is too thin, let it simmer a little more, but don’t forget to stir.
- Finally, arrange in a bowl and add the asparagus tips.