As is so often the case in life, the simplest things are often the best. A slice of good bread can be something like this, for example, or a simple bowl of warming soup, like the one mom used to make.
Today we want to show you a simple thing that is super tasty, but also just as simple to prepare and probably not one of the familiar dishes from your childhood days.
It’s about bagels with grilled vegetables. In this case we just bought the bagels which then basically have to heated to be ready. These can be stored well and are therefore perfectly at hand when there is no time for fancy meals.
Another plus is definitely that the spread we make for this can be used for almost EVERYTHING! As a spread on all kinds of bread, of course, but also as a dip for vegetable sticks or with baked potatoes. It’s a mix of vegetable feta or herder cheese and cream cheese and somehow tastes like more! But just test it yourself:
Bagel with grilled vegetables and creamy spread
- 2 bagels (ready to bake)
- 2 leaves of lettuce (e.g. romaine or lettuce)
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (dried or fresh)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g vegan feta
- 100 g vegan cream cheese
- 1 clove of garlic
- 50 ml plant-based drink (unsweetened)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- chili (optional)
- For the spread, peel the garlic and put in a blender with all the other ingredients. Mix until you have a creamy spread. Depending on the desired consistency, add some plant-based drink and season with salt and chilli. Because of the feta, feel more careful with the salt.
- Bake the bagels according to the instructions on the packet.
- Wash the peppers and zucchini, remove the seeds and cut into pieces or thin slices so that they can be placed on the bagel.
- Brush a grill pan with the olive oil and fry the vegetables in it for about 5 minutes. Season with thyme and a little salt. Do not let the pan get too hot, otherwise the olive oil will become bitter. When the vegetables have softened a little and have nice grill marks, remove them from the heat.
- In the meantime, wash and dry the lettuce leaves.
- Now put everything together by adding the spread to the bagel halves and placing the grilled vegetables and lettuce leaves on top. Now fold up and enjoy!
The recipe can of course be prepared with or without a grill pan. The vegetables are also wonderful in a simple pan, but if you have, you can also cook them in a contact grill. The choice of vegetables is of course entirely up to you and your taste or supply. So feel free to vary to your heart’s content!