Everyone knows them and everyone loves them:
Yes, it is rather difficult to combine with a plant-based diet. But we have a solution for that too! We tested a few plant-based alternatives for minced meat, but we found that we personally like the version with lentils the best! Our lentil Bolognese is a must for every pasta fan.
In addition to the taste, the nutrients in the lentils speak for themselves. No processed product can keep up with that! Lentils are high in fiber and protein with ridiculously low fat content, which makes them perfect for athletes as well.
Even those who have problems ensuring the iron supply at a sufficient level should put the small powerhouses on the menu more often!
- 500 g brown lentils
- 220 g celeriac
- 220 g carrots
- 3 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1.5 l passata
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- Peel the celery and grate finely. Also grate the carrots finely, but we only wash them and do not peel them beforehand.
- Finely chop the onions and rosemary. Peel the garlic cloves.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Fry the onions and whole cloves of garlic for 2-3 minutes, then add the celery, carrots and rosemary.
- Fry the vegetables for about 10 minutes without getting dark. Stir more often.
- Add all of the wine to the vegetables and cook for 10 minutes until it is almost completely cooked off.
- Now add the tomato paste and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add passata and 1 liter of water to the saucepan and bring to the boil.
- In the meantime, rinse the lentils under cold water and add to the boiling sauce.
- Now cook the whole sauce until the lentils are soft. This takes about 30 minutes. Stir and add water if necessary.
- When the lentils are soft, the sauce can be salted. Adding the salt beforehand would increase the cooking time of the lentils.
The classic way of eating the “Bolo” is with spaghetti or your favorite pasta. But you can do a lot more with this great recipe.
For example, as a topping for pizza or as a filling for tacos. You can just let your imagination run wild and use our Bolognese lentils for so many things.