Especially in the cold season of the year, soups are always a good idea. You can make them so diverse and always put something together to suit every mood and taste.
Whether creamy, fruity or low in calories, depending on the season, delicious soups can be created and topped off with fresh bread or toasted toast cubes.
For friends of creamy soups, our potato and kohlrabi soup is just the thing. The potatoes make the soup nice and creamy and if you want to refine it a bit, you can add some vegetable creme fraiche or cream cheese.
Potato and kohlrabi soup
- 500 g kohlrabi (1-2 depending on size)
- 500 g potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil (e.g. rapeseed oil)
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 800 ml vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 100 ml vegetable cream
- some parsley
- vegan creme fraiche (optional)
- Peel the kohlrabi and potatoes and cut into small cubes.
- Peel and dice the onion and garlic as well.
- Now heat a large saucepan with the oil and let the onions and garlic become translucent in it.
- Then add potatoes and kohlrabi and sauté briefly.
- Deglaze everything with the broth and add the bay leaf to the pot.
- Simmer for around 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the diced vegetables.
- When the vegetables are soft, everything can be blended with a hand blender. But first remove the bay leaf.
- Now bring everything to the boil again with the vegetable cream and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- If the soup is too thick add a little more water or broth.
- Put in a bowl and serve sprinkled with some vegan creme fraiche and parsley.
A little hint:
If the proportion of potatoes is significantly higher than that of the kohlrabi, you should not puree for too long. As with mashed potatoes, the soup otherwise gets a slightly slimy consistency. This can be improved a bit with a little water or plant-based cream.