One thing that you rarely do yourself is definitely potato gratin! In any case, I felt that I mostly only enjoyed gratin while eating out, but that’s over now!
Although you can get potatoes all year round, I think that it somehow fits particularly well in the festive season of Christmas and the run-up to Christmas.
I used to think it was super difficult to prepare a gratin. By now I know: Not true!
Take a look at our simple recipe. The result is so delicious that you can brag about it on the holidays.
What do you think?
- 1 kg potatoes
- 250 g vegetable cream
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 200 ml vegetable stock (warm)
- 2 lightly heaped tablespoons chickpea flour (alternatively soy flour)
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 150 g vegan cheese
- Peel the potato and slice it thinly.
- Peel the garlic and cut into fine cubes.
- Mix the plant cream, vegetable stock, garlic and chickpea flour together well.
- Season the sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg. It should have a rather strong taste.
- Then start layering by first placing some of the sauce in a large baking dish. Now alternately spread potatoes on top and alternate a little of the sauce until both are used up. The last layer should be the sauce again. Finally, sprinkle the vegan cheese on top and bake in the oven at 180 degrees.
- Depending on the thickness of the potatoes and how high they were layered, the whole thing now has to cook for about 30-45 minutes.
- After the baking time it is best to let it rest for a short time before cutting the gratin, this will prevent it from spreading.
Incidentally, the recipe can also be modified and converted into a casserole. You can add various vegetables (we also like to add carrots, which we also slice and layer) or add a protein in the form of chickpeas, for example.