Despite all the fantastic and healthy porridges and mueslis in the world, I often feel like I just want to enjoy a hearty breakfast.
And since you can make me happy with good bread and some (plant-based) butter, I came up with the idea to bake this super spicy onion bread.
Simply with butter or supplemented with tomatoes with a little salt and basil, you can easily enjoy a hearty meal.
By the way, instead of fried onions, you can also add various grains and seeds. Try and find your perfect combo -it is worth it!
- 1 loaf pan
- 250 g whole wheat flour
- 250 g spelled flour (type 630)
- 350 ml water (warm)
- 1 pkg dry yeast
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp oil
- 50 g fried onions
- some oil to grease the baking pan
- if necessary breadcrumbs for the baking pan
- Put both types of flour and the dry yeast in a large bowl. Also add salt and sugar and mix everything a little.
- Then make a well in the middle and add oil and water.
- Mix everything with your hands or at the beginning with a wooden spoon.
- When the dough starts to hold together, continue kneading with your hands.
- Continue kneading for a few minutes. You can tell that the dough is slowly becoming smoother.
- Then add the fried onions to the dough and knead again until the fried onions are well incorporated in the dough.
- Now cover the dough in a bowl, put it at a warm place and let it rise for at least 1 hour.
- Then knead again and (if necessary) add a little flour if it sticks too much.
- Grease the pan and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Then add the dough and let rise for another 20 minutes.
- Before the bread goes into the oven, brush the surface with a little water for a nice crust.
- Now put it in the preheated oven and bake at 220 ° top / bottom heat for about 35-40 minutes.