Everybody who knows this salad knows that it consists of a creamy sauce with a smoky aroma and cheese. To conjure up this classic as a vegan variant does not seem so easy. BUT: Just try our version of the Caesar salad.
Cashew nuts or puree provide the creamy and the cheesy aroma is added by the yeast flakes. And even if you might not be a fan of capers, you’ll love them in this recipe!
- 2 slices of wholemeal toast
- 2 heads of Roma salad
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes
- vegan parmesan (or more yeast flakes)
- 100 ml soy milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp capers
- 5 g yeast flakes ( if necessary a little more)
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 40 g cashews soaked
- 2 tbsp of cashew butter (alternatively instead of the soaked cashews)
- 1 clove of garlic
- Soak cashews in water overnight or let them steep in boiling water until tender. Alternatively, use cashew butter and skip this step.
- Cut whole grain toast into cubes and roast in the pan without fat.
- Cut the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and wash.
- Wash tomatoes and cut in half or quarter.
- Puree all the ingredients for the dressing. If you use the soaked cashews the blending process might take a few minutes to become creamy.
- Put the lettuce and tomatoes in a bowl, mix with the dressing.
- Put roasted bread cubes and vegan parmesan or yeast flakes on top and enjoy!